Your right to privacy is protected under the federal regulations governing Confidentiality of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Patient Records, 42 C.F.R. Part 2, and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), 45 C.F.R. Parts 160 & 164.
- The participant consents in writing; OR
- The disclosure is allowed by a court order; OR
- The disclosure is made to medical personnel in a medical emergency; OR
- The disclosure is made to qualified personnel for research, audit, or program evaluation; OR
- The participant commits or threatens to commit a crime either at the program or against any persoon who works for the program; OR
- Suspected child abuse or dependent adult or elder abuse: I am required by law to report this to the appropriate authorities immediately.